Updated: Mar 12, 2021
Warm fragrance of banana swirled with vanilla & cinnamon, filling your kitchen and your senses can be very satisfying and appetising!
As mother's we are always trying to ensure our kids develop taste for all types of fruits and vegetables and this journey continues for a very long time:). Despite all these efforts my younger girl is not very fond of banana but she never says no to this banana bread unlike Jiya who is quite fond of this fruit. So bananas are eaten only for the first 2 days in my home when they are in their prime and post that it's my duty to ensure its not wasted and that's where i stumbled across this recipe which i tried multiple times and tweaked it and finally i'm ready to share it with you. It's super easy and always turns out great.
I have tried multiple things with overripe bananas - right from banana pancake to our indian version of banana pancake (Malpua), banana sheera/halwa in north to kesar bhaat in south, banana milkshake with vanilla essence to our indianzed elaichi powder but this one tops the list !
It's dedicated specially to Jiya since she truly relishes this prepearion, not to forget my husband who has always enjoyed my cooking too.
Serves: 12 slices, Cuisine: Dessert
* All purpose flour - 1.5 cups (here i'v used wheat flour you can use the regular one too)
* Brown Sugar (packed) - 3/4 cup
* Baking Soda - 1 teaspoon
* Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
* Cinnamon powder - 1 tablespoon
* Melted butter OR vegetable oil - 1/2 cup (115 gms)
* Ripe bananas - 3 number
* Eggs - 2 medium size
* Vanilla essence - 1 tablespoon
* Pecan or walnut - 1 cup
* Electric or hand whisk whatever is available with you.
* Measuring cups
* Bowl for mixing
Preparation time: 10 min, baking time 45 mins
* Pre heat the oven to 360 degree F and grease 9X3 inch pan with parchment paper. A round shape pan of 7.5 inch diameter an also be used.
* Mash the bananas with a fork and chop the pecans.
* In a bowl add the sugar, butter, eggs and cream them with a whisk. Do not over beat it.
* Sieve in the dry ingredients all purpose flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder.
* Add vanilla essence and fold all the ingredients together till well incorporated.
* Add the mashed banana and chopped pecans towards the end and fold it.
* Add about 1/2 tsp flour to the choco chips so that do not sink in the batter when it's baked and fold them in the batter too.
* Pour the batter in the greased pan and bake it for 45 mins. To check if the cake is done insert toothpick if it comes out clean then the cake is done. You will also see a beautiful brown color on the cake.
* Keep the cake on the wire rack or counter to cool for at least an hour before you slice it.. enjoy!
This versatile bread can be combined with multiple combinations catering to a range of taste-buds. Combine it with your vanilla icecream with a dash of cinnamon powder and sprinkle of brown sugar and drizzle some chocolate /caramel sauce over it. Top it with custard, smear some Nutrella on it or just enjoy it plain with your tea/coffee. It will never cease to disappoint you. It can be refrigerated and kept in fridge for at least a week but i promise you it will be finished much before that:)